Acne no longer focuses on teenagers and puberty. It can happen to anybody depending on their lifestyle and diet. If marijuana is part of your daily dose, you might be having an important thought. Does marijuana cause acne? Read on and find out for yourself.
Upon entering the puberty stage, an individual gets more prone to acne due to bodily changes including hormone production. Both males and females go through this stage until they reach a certain age. Acne will become a big part of their life for years and so when reaching adulthood, why do you still get acne?
What is Acne?
Acne is a known condition of the skin which happens every time the small hair follicles become clogged with dead skin cells and also oil. Other than acne, you may find blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples, too. They often come back after a while even when you use skincare products. It can vary from mild to severe and may leave scars and big holes in your skin.
Usually, acne appears in the face, chest, forehead, and upper back. All those factors listed above are connected and leads to one result only. The hair follicles in the specific parts of our body are all connected to the oil glands. If not treated sooner, acne can become worse due to:
- Hormonal changes that are related to the androgen hormone that both boys and girls have and which increases upon entering the stage of puberty and causes more amount of oil to be produced. This production of oil changes most often during midlife.
- A diet involving the habit of eating fatty and sweet foods is also taken as a reason for acne occurrence. Although it’s considered a myth, chocolates are often thought of as acne-causing agents.
- Sleeplessness causes hormonal imbalance also in both the male and female bodies. This often leads to the unwanted presence of acne in the skin.
- Certain medications may harm your body. Some people have allergies to certain medications while others may have a genetic history that’s triggered by the drug’s contents.
Does Marijuana Cause Acne?
If some drugs are meant to trigger acne, how about marijuana? There is no solid evidence that proves marijuana to be a reason for a person’s vulnerability to acne. But, the effects of smoking weeds in altering the mind’s functions are what’s leading them to believe that cannabis is still to blame.
1. Enhanced Appetite
As you become more eager to eat more food, your tendency to develop acne is higher, too. Your diet that’s supposed to be controlled becomes affected as you eat more of the unhealthy processed foods containing more sugar, carbohydrates, and fat. All these causes higher blood sugar levels. This brings an increase in inflammation then leads to excessive oil production and make worse acne.
2. Changes in Hormonal Level
For both males and females, this happens because of the increase in testosterone levels that weeds cause. This body hormone is always present inside but which changes in amount after a few years. Smoking marijuana triggers a higher level of hormones that thus assist in more sebum or oil released in the body. Later on, that increase in oil turns into acne slowly appearing in your body.
3. Paranoia and anxiety
If sleeplessness is one of the causes of acne, then it’s likely that the paranoia and anxiety users acquire from smoking weeds can generate more acne. It’s hard to sleep when you’re thinking too much.
Other Side Effects of Smoking Weeds
The effects of marijuana on people differ as everyone is unique just like the content of every strain. Some have low THC and high CBD or vice versa, depending on how much you use them, too. Marijuana is an herb that when consumed, releases dopamine into the brain which affects your thoughts and mood.
In this case, there are more other side effects that smoking weed can have on your health. Such potential negative effects of using weed may be:
- The increase in heart rate
- Lung damage and higher vulnerability to ling disease
- Memory loss as well as lack of focus and learning
- Allergic reactions from touching or smelling weed strains such as itching, hives, sneezing, breathing difficulty, or watering eyes
Marijuana Strains that Often Cause Acne
Usually, the body’s reaction to marijuana and its contents is because of the strain or type of weed they consume. In this case, here is a quick list of the well-known buds that you may not try if you want to lower your chance of having acne.
- ACDC is a hybrid of sativa and indica genetics. It has a high CBD level which leaves you less prone to acne. This herb, too, does not have any psychoactive effects but only a number of medicinal advantages.
- Harlequin comes from the combination of three different strains such as the Thai, Swiss, and Colombian strains. It contains a 75/25 ratio of Sativa and Indica genes. This is a rare strain because of its 1:1 THC and CBD contents. Use this weed strain and you’re sure to get away from pain in no time.
- Sweet and Sour Widow is another bud variety that contains an equal level of THC and CBD, making this a highly therapeutic strain. It has a dominant Indica genetics of 70% and was an offspring of the crossing between White Widow and an unknown indica dominant cannabis strain. This bud, too, has the taste of sweet, herbal, and woody flavors.
- Cannatonic is the progeny of the union between MK Ultra and G-13 Haze strains. Genetically, it’s got a balanced content of indica and sativa genes. Cannatonic strain has a 14% CBD level that’s good enough to bring relief from stress that usually results in acne.
- Pennywise has 70% Indica genes and is the result of combining genes from Harlequin and Jack the Ripper strains. It contains a moderate level of THC which is still useful if you want a recreational and medicinal weed strain. With the proper sleep that it provides, users are saved from having acne.
These strains are of lower THC content and which can bring users the medicinal benefits they desire while still enjoying the delightfulness of weeds. When CBD is higher, there’s less chance of getting adverse effects.
The answer remains unclear. Does marijuana cause acne? You cannot be sure until you try it for yourself. Once you experience it and see what happens each time you use some, you’ll know exactly how to deal with it. Enjoy your buds and enjoy acne-free skin, too!